Precision Agriculture and the Future of Farming in Europe
European Parliament’s Science and Technology Options Assessment (STOA) just published a new Foresight Report on the future of Smart Farming in Europe. The aim of STOA’s project “Precision Agriculture and the Future of Farming in Europe” is to identify implications for legislative pathways for precision agriculture in Europe by mapping areas of concern around futuredevelopments. The project has three phases:
- Analyse underlying technologies and existing insights from the field, as well as the anticipated future developments
- Identify possible development paths to 2050, construct scenarios, and map the related concerns around precision agriculture, adopting a stance of “What if..?”
- Identify the legal instruments that may need to be modified or reviewed, including — where appropriate — areas identified for anticipative parliamentary work, in accordance to the conclusions reached within the project.
- Agricultural production in the EU;
- Business models of farming in Europe;
- Trends in precision agriculture in the EU;
- The economics & governance of digitalization and precision agriculture;
- Environmental impact of precision farming and
- Skilled workforces & precision agriculture.